Starting university is an exhilarating experience filled with excitement and anticipation. But it can also be a daunting time where you are uprooting your life and moving somewhere new. By packing thoughtfully, you can make the transition smoother and settle into your new environment with ease. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to ensure you have everything you need to make your university halls feel like home.
- Bedding: Pack comfortable sheets, pillows, and a cosy blanket for those late-night study sessions and peaceful sleep.
- Desk Supplies: Ensure you have all the necessary supplies for studying, including notebooks, pens, a desk lamp, and a power strip.
- Storage Solutions: Space in university halls can be limited, so consider storage solutions like under-bed storage boxes or hanging organisers.
- Personal Touches: Bring photos, posters, or decorations that will make your bedroom feel like home.
- Seasonal Clothing: Pack clothing suitable for the climate and weather changes throughout the year, but remember not to overpack.
Tech and Gadgets
- Laptop and Chargers: Your laptop will be your lifeline for coursework (as well as hungover days), so don’t forget its charger.
- Extension Cords: Since outlets might be limited, having extension cords and power strips will ensure you can charge all your devices.
- Headphones: A good pair of headphones will be invaluable when you need to focus on your studies or block out your neighbours with some good music.
- Cookware and Utensils: Basic pots, pans, utensils, and a microwave-safe dish will help you prepare simple meals in your shared kitchen.
- Food Staples: Non-perishable food items like pasta, rice, and canned goods can come in handy when needing a quick meal.
- Cleaning Supplies: Simple cleaning supplies like dish soap, sponges, and kitchen towels will help you maintain a tidy space.
Health and Personal Items
- Medications: If you have any prescriptions or over-the-counter medications, make sure you have an adequate supply.
- Important Documents: Bring your identification, university documents, and any important paperwork to halls and store in a safe place.
- Toiletries: Don’t forget towels, toiletries, and a wash bag for easy trips to the communal bathroom.